My Novels

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Filling Up Your Bucket



There are so many phrases about the bucket.  A bucket of bolts, rust bucket, for crying in a bucket, drop in the bucket, kick the bucket.  There are more, but of course the most popular one these days seems to be the bucket list—things you want to do before you kick the bucket. I thought that phrase originated from the movie of the same title, but it was used before then. You can google it to find out where. I won’t bore you with those details here.

Instead of calling it a bucket list, I like to think of it more as filling the bucket before I kick it. It would seem the more full my bucket is, the harder it will be to kick it, know what I mean? Despite what you might want to call it, I think it’s so important to create that “to do” list.  The best part about having a list is that you can put absolutely anything you want on it, even if it might be something you know you probably will never do. You might know you will never climb Mount Everest, but who knows—you might at least see the mountain someday in person. It can be more practical, like learning the piano or a foreign language. Both of those have been thrown into my bucket, by the way. 

I have a list of things that you might not have thought about. Some might be of interest while others you already know would be boring, but in any event, my hope is that it will give you some ideas of things you might want to do to fill your own bucket.

My husband and I love to visit museums. There are the typical types, such as an art museum or science museum. But how about looking into more quirky museums.  Did you know there is a National Mustard Museum? It’s located in Middleton, Wisconsin.  Here is the link, just in case you can’t get through a day without your mustard: http://mustardmuseum.com/. We love baseball. Yes, we will always be Cleveland Indians fans and hope every year this will be THE year for them. But we have been to other fields, such as Chicago and Detroit and plan on visiting a few others when time allows. Presidential museums/libraries are also a great way to learn about history, even if he wasn’t  a member of your political party.  Visiting their homes can be a very special outing as well.  Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello is a fascinating place to visit, as well as Washington’s Mount Vernon.

Do you believe in ghosts? Even if you don’t, I recently came across a site that offers tours of haunted places called Strange Escapes.  The information can be found here: http://www.strange-escapes.com/.   I’ve never encountered a ghost myself, but I have had a few experiences in my life that could possibly be considered paranormal, so I’m curious enough to want to put this one on my list. I don’t think anything could be more haunting than to visit Civil War battlefields. No, I’ve never come across a soldier during my visits, but you don’t come away without feeling the awfulness and sadness of war and what those men and women went through right here on American soil.

How about visiting a hotel with themed rooms? The Anniversary Inn is located in Salt Lake and Logan, Utah,  and Boise, Idaho.  You could stay in an Enchanted Forest, a Jungle Safari, a Country Garden,  Phantom of the Opera, and many more.  Here is the link: http://www.anniversaryinn.com/ I’m sure there are many similar-type hotels across the country if you do a little digging, just google “quirky hotels,” and see what you can find.

Whether your list is very simple, like learning how to knit or play the guitar, or a little more far-reaching, like checking out that mustard museum, the important thing is to make that list. Does it really matter if you do everything on it? I don’t think so. Part of the fun is just making the list. You might be surprised where it will take you.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy filling your bucket!

No comments:

Post a Comment