My Novels

Saturday, August 4, 2012

To Change or Not To Change


Despite the ups and downs of my job at St. Thomas, those 11 years were really some of the best of my career.  Most of the time, it was just plain fun.  I made some great friends, one of whom is my best friend today, and whenever I get back to my hometown of Akron, I usually get together with all of them.  I was born in that hospital, and the story goes that my tear ducts were blocked, and of course they had to be opened.  They definitely turned the faucet on to full because now I can cry at the drop of a hat, especially if it’s a cute old man’s hat. 

I was almost going to say that the hospital is sentimental to me because I have had several family members treated there and even died there.  Kind of sounds off, though, doesn’t it?  No, not sentimental, but a lot of my family history took place there, so maybe that is a better way to describe it.  Most of that happened before I worked there and even at times when I was too young to be a visitor.  I did wind up transcribing my paternal grandmother’s death summary.  It was completely random that I got that dictation, because there was no way to tell what was on each tape. I could have easily handed it off to another MT without a problem or question.  I wanted to do it, though.  It kind of felt like a last task I could complete for her at the end of her life.  Obviously, she would not have cared either way (the last thing my grandmother was was sentimental, but that’s another blog entirely).  No MT transcribes at 100% accuracy, but I can assure you that particular report did not have so much as a comma error.  You’re welcome, Grandma.

I truly feel that the good times far outweighed the bad times during my time at St. Thomas.  I would say about the last year or so was when things got downright nasty.  We had a new office director who seemed more concerned about having authority over everyone than managing the office.  The MTs worked in an alcove away from the phones and business of the office, which was great to have that quiet space with no distractions.   A few of the officer workers could see us from their desks.  Oftentimes when you would get stuck on a dictation, you could easily hand over the tape to the MT sitting next to you for help.  Sometimes we would have a laugh over what I thought I heard over what was really dictated and the same when an MT asked me to take a listen.  We usually got along great and often would even work through our lunch or take a short lunch to keep things caught up.  That is how dedicated our team was. 

The reason I describe the above is because one day I got called into the director’s office.  This was the same director who did not appreciate my wanting to display my CMT certificate.  She proceeded to let me know that goofing off during office hours would not be tolerated.  Another weakness she displayed was not being able to read people, because otherwise she would have asked me why my jaw was laying on the floor.  If you suspect I did not particularly have any fondness for this person, your suspicions are correct.  One of the office workers saw me and another MT goofing off, since obviously making sure the report was accurate by having a co-worker listen to the dictation is considered goofing off.  Insert sarcasm at your discretion.

I explained to Ms. Powerpuff (no, I did not call her that, but the temptation was mighty strong) the procedures for determining difficult dictation was sometimes having to ask someone to listen to the dictation.  While I was at it, I also informed her how we handle things when the dictation gets behind, with taking shorter lunches, sometimes no lunch and just grabbing a very quick bite during a 15-minute break, keeping references updated, and a few other things I can’t recall anymore.   There was no apology for the misunderstanding, no admitting she was wrong for not following through with what an office worker tattled to her, no effort to understand our jobs and what that involved.  That was pretty much a typical day by the end of my career at this facility.  I was going home almost on a daily basis ranting and screaming at my husband about the horrible day I had.  He is a patient man, but even a patient man can take so much.  


I was fortunate enough to be acquainted with a local service owner, as I had worked some evenings for her for a short while to earn a little extra money.  I had heard that she was looking for a full-time MT.  The minute I heard that, I literally went down the hall to a pay phone (you can google that if you don’t know what that is…) called her, and she set up an interview for a few days later.  Even though she did know me and my skills, she still wanted to chat about the job, schedule, accounts and so on.  She hired me on the spot, and I left St. Thomas 2 weeks later.  I gave up benefits, including paid vacation, to a job that had no benefits and sometimes even having to work into the evening to get the daily dictations done.  This was also my first experience with getting paid by the line rather than an hourly wage, so my income depended on how much I could get transcribed in a day. 

What is the whole point of this story?  I actually have 2 points to make.  First, when you find yourself in a bad situation, it’s important to always take the high road and act professional, even though you may be screaming and swearing your head off inside.  I did speak up for myself and even defended all the MTs when I had to, but I did it respectfully without yelling or being unkind.  It’s not easy, but you can let someone know you are upset without showing anger, and that is what I did.  I was never so happy to walk away from a job as I was the day I left that one, but I also felt very proud that I conducted myself professionally in what was an extremely difficult work environment.  My poor husband had to take the brunt of my frustrations, but that is also why he was so supportive of this move. Yes, I can still see him doing the happy dance on that day.  Especially in today’s MT working world where most of us work from home, supervisors, directors, and even co-workers change jobs all the time, so you never know when you might wind up working again with the very person you left behind.  That person just might remember those “uncomfortable” times and how you conducted yourself.  So never let anyone say you were not professional at all times in your behavior and your work ethic.   

 
Second, you should never be afraid to make a job change.  Medical transcription is not an easy profession, but most of us do this work because we love it.  Because of the stresses and challenges we face on a daily basis, if you are not happy with the work environment, then you are putting yourself in an unhealthy situation—physically and mentally.  Keep your skill set at its maximum best, even if you are working in an office setting with one specialty.  That is going to keep you prepared to make a move if you need to, whether you are leaving at your choice or the choice of the employer.   

Once again, I was fortunate enough to enjoy my job at this local service.  About 2 years later, the account I was working on was going away.  They had decided to bring the work to a much closer office.  That meant I was going to be without a job, since there were no other available accounts.  On the very day I was told there was no further work for me, I got a phone call that night that led to an opportunity to work from home and own my own service.  Hear all about it next time!  Enjoy your work, enjoy your day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment