My Novels

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Lessons Learned


It is funny how you don’t give something much thought, but then when you do take a closer look, what you thought was pretty routine was really a lot more than that.  For the most part, I guess you could say my first MT job was nothing out of the ordinary.  I learned the terminology, the formats, and even that darn Executive typewriter did not get the best of me.  I think I might have learned to work with that typewriter a little too easily, because eventually the therapists got into the habit of wanting me to create forms for them.  History forms, initial evaluation forms, progress forms—if there was information that could be put into a form, they wanted it.  They would give me the basic outline, and I would create the form.  The problem was that they almost always gave me 2 or 3 pages of information, but of course, it had to be on one page.  The really fun part was that, once I had the form figured out and the therapist approved it (after many, many trips to their office to look it over), I had to then type it on a stencil, place the stencil on this drum covered with ink, and run copies off that drum.  If there were any typos, you had to start from scratch.  So the positive out of that experience? I became very good at paying attention to detail.  

I was pretty fortunate in that everyone had good dictating skills.  One of the occupational therapists would often end his dictation with telling me a joke and then thanking me for transcribing his work.  The entire staff also allowed me to edit the dictation where necessary. Well, almost everyone.  There was this one PT guy who liked to dictate one sentence for his reports.  One, very long sentence.  Maybe 2 sentences if it was an initial evaluation.  It was just a constant “and, “and, “and…”  So naturally I would edit that down into more readable sentences without all the ands.  It did not take long for him to storm into the administrator’s office demanding to know why I was changing his dictation.  Kind of ironic this guy’s last name was Wilde. I tell you no lie; it really was Wilde.  My boss called me into the office to get my side of the story and actually agreed with my explanation, but he also said it just might be better to go along with following Wilde’s style of dictating, which I did of course.  Now that was my first lesson in learning how not to change the dictator’s style. 

The disgruntled employee I mentioned previously turned out to be a minor incident.  When I got the promotion to transcription coordinator, my co-worker was a tad upset she was not offered the position.  She worked part-time for the clinic and part-time for another department, and by then we had hired another MT because the clinic side was growing with adding on more therapists.  So I was the logical choice, since I was in the clinic office all day, every day.  When I explained that and also pointed out this did not make me her boss, just simply the one who would call the repair guy, order supplies, assign any stat dictations and those types of duties, she was okay and things went back to normal.  Once again, another lesson to learn from a negative experience.  I suppose I could have been nasty right back at her and told her she had no right to lash out at me, but that would have only resulted in bad feelings and an awkward work environment, and who needs that? Instead, I pointed out the logistics of the situation, and once she was able to see it made sense, we went on to have a great working relationship. 

 
The difficult doctor was a true test of my patience and professionalism.  He came in only once a week to do disability exams, and he expected us to have his reports transcribed and on his desk before he left at the end of the day.  That would have been easy enough except the guy talked so fast that none of us could get through a report without leaving a lot of blanks and then having to decipher his scribbling once he filled them in, and by the time we would retype the reports, he was long gone.  So I decided to ask him if he would be willing to dictate a normal exam that we could just plug into the report, and that way he would only have to dictate the abnormal findings.  Great idea, right?  Saves him time and us a lot of headaches.  I approached him in the hallway between patients and told him my idea. His response?  He pinched both of my cheeks and said, “You are so cute” and walked away.  I stood there absolutely speechless and red as a beet (so love that I was blessed with the blush gene—NOT).  Since he felt I was so cute, I decided to be even cuter and inform him his reports would not be done for his signature until the following week.  The following week, he dictated a normal physical exam.  So I guess being cute has its advantages.

Yes, my first MT job was definitely a great education beyond learning medical terminology.  I have not forgotten about that incident of having to testify in court, but I think I’ll save that for next time.  Until then, enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment